Elitheni will capitalize on the fact that its coal is a smokeless fuel with an exceptionally low sulphur and phosphorous content. The principal intended commercial uses for Elitheni’s coal therefore include:
The principal market for coal from the Elitheni coal fields will be as exported product typically to India, South Korea and Turkey. Access to the port of East London via an existing railway system from the mine mouth to port provides the Company with a massive export advantage.
Other markets are as follows:-
- fuel for primary energy supply to industrial customers;
- a reductant for use within the metallurgical industry;
- an additive and primary energy source for the brick-making industry;
- fuel for domestic consumption;
- fuel to supply fluidised bed boilers for use in large power stations